Thursday, January 5, 2012

Purple's Reign: Part 2

In my search for new bedding for London's purple-inspired bedroom makeover, I came across these beauties at Marshall's. Not only was it love at first sight but they were in the clearance section for $9.00 each. I thought the pillows' pattern was poppy and fun. It didn't say little girl (which I actually preferred), but the colors would work well. It had different shades of purple, as well as green to match her bedroom walls ... with a bright magenta thrown in. "Hello, beautiful!"


Amazingly, they also matched a set of lilac polka dot sheets I found at the same store. I excitedly made my way home and was eager to show my husband that night. When he saw the pillows his reaction was "whoa, really?" Ugh. *eye roll*

There may also have been an odd comment here and there about "temporary blindness" or "seizures" but I can't be certain. I stopped listening after "whoa" escaped his lips and went about the business of decorating.

In part 1 of the makeover, I told you about a table and mirror that I purchased and decided to spray paint white. I removed the tape from the mirror and got that hung, removing any excess paint that snuck under with a razor blade and on occasion, an unmanicured fingernail. I then paired that with a little chair that's actually made and sold for bathrooms.

Here's that before picture ...

And after ...

Her new desk got a hot pink planter turned garbage can, the updated lamp, and something to organize her necklaces and hair accessories. This sits to the left of where her dresser used to be, also left of her tree.

Sad that my photography skills are so poor you need night vision goggles to see some of these pictures.

Anyhow, speaking of that dresser, we happen to have another baby on the way so that will be moved to the nursery with London's crib. It matches and seems better that way. Of course, that also means London is without until I figure out what type of furniture we might want to purchase for her room long-term.

Meantime, I remembered we had one of those white DIY shelves that they sell at Target ... the kind you buy those little colored cubes for. So, I asked my dear hubby to bring that up from the basement and I picked up a variety of storage cubes in purple, a couple in pink.

Then I hunted through some of my scrap booking supplies and made a few labels for each one. We'd have plenty of boxes to organize everything from socks, to tights, to pajamas.


And that's where I am now. I have one more project for the room to finish up this weekend, and then I'll be ready to show you the whole finished project.