Monday, September 16, 2013

Our Little Cowboy's 1st Birthday Bash

I always thought a cowboy party would be fun so it was a no brainer when our youngest turned one this July. Sadly, I'm just getting around to posting about it!

With the help of my sister, we got some great photos to use for the invite and a few welcome posters that were scattered around the house. I can't get over some of these. What a little chunky nugget he was ... this cowboy was having him some steak!




I'm particularly fund of this butt shot. I'm sure he'll hate me for it someday ...


Then I stuck him in some skinny jeans that were a little snug around his belly. Ooops.




Needless to say, we had plenty of good material to work with. 

I also ordered a full set of printable party goodies from LeeLaaLoo on Etsy. The package I purchased had everything from banners to custom water bottle labels to thank you cards. I just sent the file off to Office Max and when ready, got my mad cutting skills on. 

I used those printables to make all sorts of goodies!

For example, they turned these dollar store red napkins into something totally cute. Throw them in an apple bushel basket and it's just right for a ho-down!



The food was kept simple and a little rustic. We ordered in sandwiches, served sausage sticks in mason jars, fresh sugar snap peas, some snacks and some little cowboy desserts. These "hay bales" were a snap to make using a traditional rice crispy treat recipe and some peel and pull licorice!


I also did some mini pecan pies and some campfire s'more treats. Yum, yum.
 
Older looking containers, some framed pics and some other western signs gave the place just the right vibe.



These tables and covers were rented to provide some extra seating and I picked up some wildflowers from the Farmer's Market that morning to place in labeled canning jars. Throw a chicken wire basket next to it for some snacks and you're good to go. 

There were lots of other little touches I tried to do all around the house. Here's a sampling ...

Sunflowers & Mason Jars...

Fireplace Banner ...

Door signs & drink menus with lots-o-choices for big and lil' cowboys and girls...


Wanted Posters ...

And then of course desserts! I made this cake and these piped sugar cookies for my lil' man.

I think he's impressed.

These cactus, cowboy hat and cow-print cookies were fun to make and super delicious!

They were set out as favors.

Then just to make sure our little buckaroos were well outfitted, we set up some hay bales complete with cowboy hats (also from the dollar store), sheriff's badges, mustaches, pistols and bandannas. Yee haw!




And then since a cowboy isn't right without his horse, this guy joined the party for a few hours to give unlimited rides. It. Was. A. Hit. 

Seriously ... can't even handle that smile.



Party down y'all!