Sunday, September 4, 2011

What's for dinner?

Ever since I had kids, I've been looking for anything and everything that will help me organize our crazy and hectic lives. I've made huge strides in the meal planning area but occasionally my mind is so filled with all the other things I have to do, I can't even recall what I planned to make for dinner by the time Thursday rolls around.

And that particular dilemma (i.e. motherhood induced memory-missingitis) is what lead me to this project. The idea isn't new and it certainly isn't mine as it's been bouncin' about on various diy blogs; rather this is just my take on a simple but handy project.

The gist of it comes down to the fact you can use glass as a dry erase board. And glass easily lends itself to picture frames for a new take on dry erase calendars and the like.

Once you have your supplies, this is literally a five minute project (three if your kids are in school). And it doesn't cost much either. I opted for some fancy scrap book stickers which you'll see momentarily, but even with my "splurge," we're talking $9.50.

So here's what I made (and excuse the flash ... as you should know by now, I'm no photographer).


And here's what I needed.
  • Picture frame
  • Scrap book paper
  • Scrap book stickers (large and small)
  • Dry erase marker
I bought a $5, 11" x 14" frame at WalMart, kept the matt and simply cut a piece of scrapbook paper down to size. Once taped in place, I closed 'er up (nurse, scalpel!) and brushed my hands together using exaggerated motions to indicate this part of the process had concluded.

Next I added the larger stickers to the outside of the glass representing Monday - Friday. I then put a title at the top (just in case things get so bad I don't know what the heck this thing is), and I also decided to use my little script scrapbook stickers to put an extra saying in the bottom right hand corner: "what's cookin?" Clever, right?   *eye roll*

With that, all that's left to do is write my menu. I can easily change up the look later using different colors or even wrapping paper if I tire of the matt - which I think I may already dislike - and I dig the flexibility. In general, I think this is a clever little trick ... wish I had thought of it!

If, however, you can actually remember what you're planning to eat today, you could take a framed picture on your bedside table (just any old picture), forgo the scrapbook paper and keep a dry erase pen nearby to write reminders to yourself (e.g. dentist appt today ..., pick up dry cleaning, etc.). Heck, do it on your bathroom mirror.

Or you can do something like this using inexpensive stickers to plan out meals, family activities, or just as a note pad to others in your home. Whether hung on a wall or left sitting on a table, it's an easy way to help keep up with everything life throws your way. Especially if you also suffer from motherhood induced memory-missingitis. I hear it's pretty common. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment